From all angles, there is no doubt that we are being flooded with news of COVID-19 and its constant updates. This tsunami of an outbreak has naturally caused overwhelming fear, ambiguity among many, and perplexed concern not only around the globe, but our business community as well.
When it comes to navigating the rights and wrongs for at home practices, day-to-day management of your employees, and relief measures, what answers are available for handling COVID-19? Throughout this changing time and as sensitivities are heightened, the Sandbox wants to support the business community by providing some information and best practices delivered by other authoritative resources contributing to risk prevention. After all, it is all our responsibility to work together to help keep our community safe and educated!
How to protect your employees
With concerns from employers and employees arising regarding exposure prevention for COVID-19, there are basic processes and implementations workplaces can take into consideration:
- Encourage regular handwashing
- Perform routine environmental cleaning
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home
- Talk with employees about travel plans
- Have an open dialogue and share objectives with employees
How to protect yourself & your family
There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses. Take these everyday steps to reduce exposure to the virus and protect your health:
- wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- avoid contact with people who are sick
- stay home if you are sick
If you are travelling to an area known to have cases of coronavirus, be sure to avoid:
- high-risk areas such as farms, live animal markets and areas where animals may be slaughtered
- contact with animals (alive or dead), including pigs, chickens, ducks and wild birds
- surfaces with animal droppings or secretions on them
These steps seem like a no-brainer right? Simple, yet important!
For more information and perspectives, here are some other avenues worth exploring!
- Everything – we mean EVERYTHING – you need to know about COVID-19 released and updated by the Government of Canada
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business has a helpful Q&A section when it comes to coronavirus and small business!
- Working remote for the first time? Vidyard has written tips and tools on how to be just as effective away from the office.
- The Medium publication sheds light on the coronavirus and why it is important we ALL act now.
- Flattening the curve: a visual representation
- Public Health Ontario has developed resources to support stakeholders with the recent outbreak
- How Serious is the Coronavirus? An interesting video to listen to that captures information from Infectious Disease Expert Michael Osterholm, interviewed by Joe Rogan.
- Infection prevention close to home – Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit hosts resources to support in precautionary measures.
- #askWHO – World Health Organization provides a Q&A video on COVID-19 in the workplace.